Executing the Project
The third phase, executing, is the one where the project’s plan is finally put to work. The approved activities, schedule and budget are monitored daily by the project manager who role and responsibilities become paramount to the completion and success of the project.
The project manager has to:
- Make sure all team members know the goals and overall schedule of project
- Manage relationships and address various problems that may affect project success.
- Establish an open communication environment with team and remove obstacles to keep project on task.
- Manage Stakeholders’ expectations and keep them informed of the project status
During the executing phase, if not mentioned within the planning phase, the team will look to evaluate and select vendors or open source systems that meet the needs to:
- Store and reuse content or learning objects through a Learning content management system
- Select a standard that will be used to store data
- Deliver e-learning courses, track students, manage the learning process
To prove that the develop system satisfies the requirements defined by the project plan a set of tests can be conducted to measure whether or not all the parts of the e-learning product work together. After all tests have been completed, the project manager and team can report their findings to stakeholders that address:
- Integration and test activities status
- Planning status for all subsequent life cycle phases
- Resource availability status
- Acquisition risk assessment of subsequent life-cycle phases given the planned acquisition strategy.
Vendor /Contractor Selection
When selecting a vendor or contracting for any outsource services be sure to look at a few key considerations before making that final decision. Be sure to first determine their level of interaction with your team, their scope of work, and how it relates to the rest of the project.
- Verify that they are not simply a multimedia development company
- Any source code and copyright should belong to the project
- No rendering or code generation should be required.
- Specify all acceptable languages and tools
- A full-time, knowledge contact person is needed
Prototyping/developing e-learning materials
Regarded, as the most important part of the executing phase is the creation and delivery of course content while meeting required standards. Since this is an e-learning project the standards for the creation of online course materials are stricter since students do not have direct access to instructor as traditional classroom student do.
All in all, the executing phase requires a great deal of monitoring by the project manager. He or she responsibilities are continuously being challenged and new flexible management styles emerge to satisfy the needs of the team and ultimately the project.